Low Carb Diet is one of the most practiced diets followed across the globe. There may be number of benefits of having Carbohydrates, however, it is extremely important to take them in proportion and moderation. An excessive intake of Carbohydrates can cause unwanted weight gain and high blood sugar.
But it is also important that you also take appropriate amount of carbohydrates so that your body meets the nutritional needs and maintain a healthy weight. This article will cover the beginner’s guide for a carb related diet.
Along with fats and proteins, carbohydrates are one of the three important macronutrients that our body needs daily. There are basically three main types of carbohydrates named sugars, fibers and starches.
Why does your body need Carbohydrates?
Your body needs carbohydrates because they are one of the main sources of energy for your body. The major function of carbohydrates is to provide fuel to your kidneys, brain, central nervous system and heart muscles.
Also your bod has the capability of storing extra carbohydrates to use when your intake of carbohydrates is not enough related to the body needs.
How many grams you need to have of Carbs?
According to the Dietary Guide of America, 2020, most of the adults get the 45-65% of their calories from carbs. Carbohydrates contain four calories per gram you can intake 225 to almost 325 grams of carbs per day.
The Healthy Sources of Carbohydrates:
It is beneficial to choose the carbohydrates that provide nutrients together as well. It is recommended to get at least half of your carbohydrates from natural grains. The following list covers the carbohydrate rich foods with provide nutrients and are healthy as well.
The foods containing 12 grams or more for serving:
- Fruits (melons, citrus fruits, pears, apples, kiwi fruit, bananas, etc.)
- Milk Products (Plain yoghurt, Low fat milk, Soy yoghurt, etc.)
- Starchy Vegetables (yams, Sweet potatoes, corns, carrots)
- Legumes (Black beans, lentils, soybeans, chick peas)
- Whole grains (Brown rice, Barley, Whole grain pasta, Oatmeal, whole grain cereals, etc.)
The foods containing less than 10 grams of carbohydrates for serving:
- Seeds and Nuts (Cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachio)
- Non starchy Vegetables (cabbage, leafy greens, spinach, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms)
- Soy milk
The Benefits of Low Carb Diet:
Low carb diets have always proven to be worthy and beneficial for health. Here are few of the benefits of low carb diets:
- At first, the low carb diet leads to more weight loss as compared to other diets.
- The fat molecules named Triglycerides tend to drop significantly.
- Low carb diets are exceptionally good at reducing abdominal fat.
- Hunger is the worst side effect of diet. Thus, low carb diets also reduce your appetite.
- Low carb diet helps increasing the good cholesterol named High density Lipoprotein (HDL)
- Low carb diet also helps reducing sugar and insulin levels.
- Elevated blood pressure is a source of many diseases. Low carb diet also tends to reduce blood pressure levels.
- This diet is also effective against the Metabolic Syndrome such as obesity.
- AMRAP Workout- Best Training Protocol, Benefits, and More - May 5, 2021
- Cream Cheese Nutrition- Variants, Incredible Facts: Pros and Cons - April 22, 2021
- Greenstick Fracture- Complete Analysis: Symptoms, Risks, and more - April 20, 2021